Wednesday, October 12, 2011

One week in

I'm a little over a week in of being in the city, and I must say I have gotten used to it very quickly and comfortably.  Having an internship here for two months last year was definitely a big help. This morning was very nice. It was actually the first morning I rolled out of bed early enough to take a nice long shower AND stop and get a nice, warm, caffeinated drink.  If you know me well, you know that I am a hot tea kinda gal. Coffee makes me crazy jittery. My new go-to place is Argo Tea. It is wonderful, and I call it the Starbucks for tea. I ordered the pumpkin spice chai, and it was so delicious!

 Anyway, it made me feel more like an official New Yorker having a hot drink in my hand while briskly walking to work with my earbuds in listening to moderately tempoed music to keep up my pace.  The walking has been great, and is my official workout for the day. 20 minutes in the morning, and 20 minutes after work.  I don't know if I quite have that "New Yorker" pace, but I'm getting there.  I try to start off really quickly, but 5 minutes in my right shin always gives me a fit. No worries though, I know I will overcome it and soon become a very speedy walker. Right now, I'm just.. a little speedy. Oh yes, and then to make it to my little studio, I climbs 3 flights of steep stairs that I like to call my "mini mountain". Yes, I climb up and scale down a mini mountain every day in order to get to and from my mini fortress, 4RW.

One thing I remember saying once I left was how much I was going to miss vegetation around me, but guess what? I got extremely lucky and ended up smack dab in the middle of the flower district!  When I walk to work in the mornings I get to walk through a mini jungle on my side of the street.  It's quite lovely.

This weekend a few of my friends and I asked ourselves, "so how do you know when you are officially a New Yorker?"  My dear friend Shannon from Queens was able to give a few great answers for this.

You know you're a New Yorker when...
1. You bump into people and don't say sorry
2. You actually enjoy the exhaust from large trucks during the winter months because of their warmth
3. You stand in the middle of the street to cross with oncoming traffic /risk your life to cross the street
4. I've already briefly covered this one, but you walk like you're on fire with no expression

I'm still kind of a newbie, so that's all I have for now, but if you know any more please do share. It's always nice to have a few humorous ones in there too  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...